We have already mentioned above that after cleaning you need to check if the drain filter is leaking. And what to do if you see a leak? Well, first, do not panic. And carefully read why this can happen.
There are actually three reasons for this:
- You have incorrectly installed the filter after cleaning or loosely screwed it.
- The reason may be that over time the sealing gasket has lost its properties and needs to be replaced. It can be a replacement of the gasket only, or the filter as a whole if the gasket is not sold separately.
- The filter or its threads may have been damaged during cleaning. This happens if you applied force when cleaning the filter. To solve the problem, you need to replace the filter.
HOW OFTEN DO YOU NEED TO CLEAN THE FILTER
If we take into account the manufacturer’s recommendations, they recommend cleaning the drain filter at least once every four months. But, this is relative, because it all depends on how often you wash. For example, if a family with small children will use the washing machine every day, respectively, the filter will clog faster, and in this case, it should be cleaned monthly. How often you need to clean the filter also depends on what things you wash most often. If it is flannel and bike, then they have a large number of lint that remain on the drain filter after washing, thus clogging it.
But if you wash a down jacket or down pillow in the machine, then you need to clean the filter immediately after washing.
IF THE FILTER IS NOT CLEANED, WHAT WILL BE THE CONSEQUENCES?
At first glance, it would seem that there is nothing wrong if the filter is not cleaned. In fact, serious problems can arise. We will talk about some of them below:
– An unpleasant smell will be felt from the washing machine, which will be transferred to the washed clothes. All the dirt that accumulates in the filter will be an excellent breeding ground for microorganisms. All this is oxidized, and eventually, there will be an unpleasant smell from the machine.
– The washing machine will drain water poorly. If debris accumulates in the drain filter, the drainage of water from the washing machine automatically deteriorates. And if the filter gets clogged, the machine may stop draining water altogether.
– Failure of the drain pump. If you do not clean the filter, then foreign objects can get into the pump, and it will stop working. There are also cases when foreign objects get into the impeller and break the blades, thereby damaging the pump casing.
THE FILTER IS UNSCREWED, BUT NOT REMOVED – WHAT TO DO?
If you do not clean the drainage unit for a long time, you may encounter the problem that the filter does not come out. Either you cannot unscrew the filter because foreign objects are obstructing it, or scale has formed on its threads and sealing gum.
If you cannot pull out the drain filter, then a foreign object or a lump of debris is stuck in it. There are two ways to solve this problem:
– try to scroll the filter with pliers, but very carefully so as not to break the part;
– try to clean the filter by removing the drain pump beforehand.
To do this, you will have to partially disassemble the washing machine. We remove the back or front panel of the washing machine, all depends on the model, disconnect the wiring, and remove all the clamps with which the drain pipe and the hose that goes to the pump cochlea are attached to the pump. After that, remove the pump together with the cochlea. You can clean the filter through the drain pipe or by disconnecting the pump and the cochlea. Then the filter can be cleaned through the pump opening. After such cleaning, the filter should unscrew.
Please note: This method of cleaning the filter should be used only if you have an understanding of how the washing machine and its drainage system are arranged. If you do not have such information, then you should not take risks and it is better to contact a specialist.
We have appliance repair experts available today! Call a professional Poway Appliance Service Center technician by phone or book your service.
Our service center is open 24/7, so you can easily schedule a convenient repair time. The specialist will arrive at the agreed time, carry out a diagnosis, and, if necessary, offer repairs. If you are willing, your appliance will be repaired directly on-site within 1-2 hours. We provide top-notch service at an affordable price!